Saturday, September 26, 2026

Dirt and sagebrush


I just found the following blog hanging out in the draft section----guess I never put it out there, so I thought it was good enough to share our new home in Taos.
*********************************************************************************
 April 2018
A new chapter in the life of Reeves has begun, and I have to---no, I NEED to write it down in satirical fashion with as much humor squeezed out of the budding fruit as possible or I'll be chasing after little anti-anxiety pills of which I can't pronounce.

After four years of floating around the country in a 19ft mechanical camper van and then ransitioning to a salty fiberglass hull adorned with teak and dacron, we sold Fiesta in Nov 2017 and finally bought dirt.  I kinda feel like we "bought the farm" instead.  It was NOT an easy decision, as there really weren't too many choices that filled our criteria of where we want to spend the next few years of our lives. 

Adios Fiesta 💙



Dirt and sagebrush.
In search of water---fresh water 
That's the title of this next long chapter/phase of Reeves on the Run, however, it's now retitiled, Reeves on the Mesa.  Yep.  We bought 2.25 acres of dirt and sagebrush on a dirt road called Eototo. We were soon to become Eototians---kinda cosmic in a Twilight Zone sorta way. Read on.

Taos is a vortex.  What is a vortex?  A space that sucks you in----for better or for worse.  It feels involuntary, but actually you are free to leave at any time.  Around here, they say if "the scared mountain" wants you here, she'll take you in.  If not, she'll spit you out.  I kind of think of the mountain as the old woman who lived in a shoe----she had so many children, she didn't know what to do....I forget how the rest of it goes, but the point is, she takes care of us, but not without a spanking now and then.  We still come back, because she loves and nurtures us.

Back to the dirt story, but let's make it a long story in a nutshell.  When the boat sold, we went after this piece of soft sage dirt with 360 views.  What should have been a slam dunk good deal, turned into a clouded title with four months of waiting.  But I want to save my humor, so we'll cut to March 30 and the signing of the title and celebration with Krista coming into town from Boulder for her 25th bday.

More skipped steps in the story, now have the Reeves paired up with a long time Taoseño compatible adobe builder staking the property with our new house plans (hopefully with the neighbors more curious than groaning).  I question my sanity at this point.  What have we done?????  Is this what I really want????  Oh mother mountain, help me.


The driveway was as long as football field for the sake of efficiently running utilities to the "divined perfect spot", and I'm daunted by the hail Mary pass I'm gonna have to make.  It took way more pesos than we planned, of course.  Thoughts of grabbing the ball in a quarter back sneak and hauling ass the other way outta town ran through my head.  But all my team stared at me with a wtf.  So I gulped my indecision of commitment down the gullet and threw the cost of this project down the long driveway to Ramon, the excavator.  RUN RAMON RUN!!!! (before I changed my mind, which would be a personal four month challenge to build this mud house).  It was what we want, but could we afford it?
*****

Local Taos mud used for adobe bricks
Looks like we have a porta-potty with a great view
(or vice-versa :)




























Living room vigas (vee-guz) pointing the way



Leslie's wood carving for window frame pieces





Hand carved beam
Home 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you! Be sure to select "Anonymous" for a quick comment